Sunday, January 15, 2012

Agency - Covenants - Faith

Today was Stake Conference, which is a large gathering of all the LDS congregations in the area. We meet for two hours and enjoy learning and being together. Two hours is long time for kids to play quietly, but we managed and though out the reading, providing snacks, and other tricks I use to keep the kiddies quiet, I did hear a few thoughts.

As I reflected on the thoughts I heard, I noticed a theme of sorts. There were talks about agency, that great gift that allow us to choose our path, speakers at the conference talked about covenants that we make with God and how He blesses us when we do our part and while there weren't lots of words spoken about faith, that is the part is what has been in my heart.

Some bloggers that I follow choose a word to focus on over the year. I have admired that practice but tend to set goals for the new year, it is just how I like to do it. But this year, in addition to my goals, I have chosen Faith as a word to reflect and study on and to put into practice.

The remarks of our Stake President (the leader of all the congregations in our area) helped to tie together these thoughts I had swimming in my head. He explained that when we use our agency to make covenants with God and act on those covenants, then faith can grow. And I want my faith to grow.

One of my goals this year is to find a verse or saying or quote and put it by my sink. I don't have a dishwasher and I spend a lot of time at the sink. So this is what I have there for this month.

It is from The Book of Mormon, the book of Nephi, the 2nd chapter of that book.

19 And it came to pass that the Lord spake unto me, saying: Blessed art thou, Nephi, because of thy faith, for thou hast sought me diligently, with lowliness of heart.
20 And inasmuch as ye shall keep my commandments, ye shall prosper, and shall be led to a land of promise; yea, even a land which I have prepared for you; yea, a land which is choice above all other lands.

We see here that Nephi is a great example of using his agency to make covenants and his faith is rewarded with something in the future. Now, we might not want land, but there are promises that we all desire in life.  So with 2012, I am not only thinking about faith, I am going to be taking action. I am excited to see how it turns out!

Kirstin

No comments:

Post a Comment