Thursday, May 3, 2012

Encouragement

Elder Richard G. Scott taught: 
"Just when all seems to be going right, challenges often come in multiple doses applied simultaneously. When those trials are not consequences of your disobedience, they are evidence that the Lord feels you are prepared to grow more. He therefore gives you experiences that stimulate growth, understanding, and compassion which polish you for everlasting benefit. To get you from where you are to where He wants you to be requires a lot of stretching, and that generally entails discomfort."

Lately, I have been thinking about how past trials have taught me so much and when I heard this quote, I realized that one of the many things I have learned from sadder times, is that I don't have to be afraid of hard things. I don't like trials and I'd prefer to not deal with difficulties (especially all at once) but the personal knowledge that my heart can weather hard times is so valuable, so encouraging!


So in light of difficulties, "Carry on, Carry on" (This hymn is actually called "Firm as the Mountains Around Us" and has been a family favorite since I was a child)


Kirstin

2 comments:

  1. One of my very favorite hymns too. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a wonderful quote. I have to believe this not for just myself as these trials I am sure will come again, but for others that I see at work or church. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete