Saturday, March 12, 2011

Duty and Joy

I have always appreciated this quote, a roommate shared it with me years ago.
 
"I slept and dreamt that life was joy;
I awoke and found that life was duty,
I acted and behold, duty was joy."

That quote came to mind earlier this week and I have been thinking again of how true those words are. I find that the every day things that I sometimes dread, once started aren't that bad. For example, today I cleaned the house. I have a small house but I get tired of always cleaning it to see it get messy again. But seeing the clean bathroom, the mopped floors and tidy living room made me feel good - yes, I guess I could say joy.

Another example:  Child #2 has been getting up, oh so early lately and while I dislike the early hour, watching the day come alive is lovely and even at that early hour, she is still so cute, with her little voice and demanding ways.

Life is mostly duty (I have found) but there can be beauty in the routine, in the mundane and all the world around.

No comments:

Post a Comment